We collect various types of information from our visitors so we can adjust our site to meet our users’ needs and expectations. Some of this information is collected automatically through cookies, and other information is collected when you register for any of our online services.
Information Collected Automatically
The types of information your browser or Internet session automatically sends us each time you visit one of our sites, which we automatically collect, includes:
- Your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator)
- Your Internet domain (e.g., AOL, Netcom, Earthlink, etc.)
- Your computer’s operating system (e.g., Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, Linux)
- Your navigation path (i.e., the URLs of where you come to our site from, which of our pages you visit, and where you go as you leave)
- Your IP address
This information lets us see how users are finding our sites, and it tells us which pages are visited most often so we can make our websites more useful. We have implemented features in Google Analytics to allow us to understand and communicate with the users of our site. These features may include but are not limited to Display Advertising, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, DoubleClick campaign manager integration, or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) to report ad impressions and engage in various marketing campaigns.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons. Internet record keeping. We may use the information to improve our products and services. We may periodically send promotional email about new products and degrees, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided. From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customize the website according to your interests. We may provide your information to our third party partners for marketing or promotional purposes. We will never sell or rent your information.
Information You Provide to Us
In addition to the information automatically collected by your browser, we also collect information that you provide to us when you register for an online service, order merchandise from us, or request information regarding our sponsored schools or training.
- Application/Registration Information: Information provided in applying for employment or admission into training may be shared with MCW and is used solely for those purposes, and is protected accordingly. Data collected during these processes, either collectively or individually, may be shared with third-party government agencies as required by law. Details can be obtained from either the Office of Admissions and Records or the Office of Human Resources at the applicable institution.
- Name and Address Information: We maintain a database of names and addresses (e-mail and paper mail) of people who may be interested in hearing about new and upcoming events, publications, or various University activities. Names on this list come from requests for materials and requests for other information or services. We do not share this list with organizations outside of My Career Works.
- Payment Information: In the course of providing our students with automated services, My Career Works receives some personal payment information in the form of checks and credit cards. It is the policy of the University to protect all information provided to us by all participants through the payment process. My Career Works does not sell or share any non-public personal information or student lists with any third party, except as may be necessary to complete a transaction in the ordinary course of business, or as required under an applicable law, or with your concurrent notice and approval.
My Career Works provides links to other websites. When you leave the My Career Works website please be aware that My Career Works is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites.
As a partner to colleges, universities and training companies, My Career Works adheres to the rules and regulations as set forth by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Your Rights, Our Obligations
My Career Works does not sell or rent any personal data submitted by visitors to our site to any third parties. MCW along with our partners, respects the privacy of users visiting our University sites and will abide by all applicable laws concerning the release of personal information. On occasion, we may use certain directory information we have collected to send you information about products and services, or updates and other information we think may be of interest to you. If you tell us that you do not wish to have this information used as a basis for further contact with you, we will respect your wishes. Please contact My Career Works to request your name and address be removed from our lists.
Other than directory information, data you provide to us as you use My Career Works’s website will be held in strict confidence by the University and will be used for University purposes only. The University may share aggregate information about our users with advertisers, business partners, sponsors and other third parties. However, the individual information you provide us within the My Career Works website will be known only to you and the University. We will not share your personal data with anyone else, except as may be required by law.
You can manage your personal information by customizing your settings in Google. Please see the Ad Settings section to update your preferences in Google. Google also provides a tool to allow for opting out of Analytics. This browser Add-on is available here. There are many other third party services to allow you to manage your privacy settings.
How To Update Your Information: Our student services site provides you with the option of changing and modifying information you have previously provided to us. To change or modify your student services account information, please call 1-888-947-2684 toll free.
Our Security Measures: Our websites have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. We utilize industry standard SSL encryption when accepting your credit card information during the online ordering process, as well as whenever we ask you to login to any of the University’s online student services, such as our library or the student website.
Cookies: Data created by a web server that is stored on a user’s computer. It provides a way for the website to keep track of a user’s patterns and preferences and, with the cooperation of the web browser, to store them on the user’s own hard disk.
The cookies contain a range of URLs (web addresses) for which they are valid. When the browser encounters those URLs again, it sends those specific cookies to the web server. For example, if a user’s ID were stored as a cookie, it would save that person from typing in the same information all over again when accessing that service for the second and subsequent time during the same browser session.
IP ( Internet Protocol ) Address: This is the address of a computer attached to a TCP/IP network. Every client and server station must have a unique IP address. Client workstations have either a permanent address or one that is dynamically assigned for each dial-up session. IP addresses are written as four sets of numbers separated by periods; for example, 126.96.36.199.
Browser Session: A browser session is defined as the period of time a browser is in consecutive use. The session begins when you open the browser and ends when you close it. When you reopen the browser, you begin a new session.
SSL Encryption ( Secure Sockets Layer ) : The leading security protocol on the Internet. When a SSL session is started, the browser sends its public key to the server so that the server can securely send a secret key to the browser. The browser and server exchange data via secret key encryption during that session. We also use SSL encryption whenever we display your personal information (e.g., name and address, scheduled courses, grades).
URL ( Uniform Resource Locator ) : An Internet address. URLs are used to locate sites on the Internet and to navigate between sites and pages within sites. The URL for My Career Works is https://www.mycareerworks.org/.
Last update: April 27th, 2017.